I Have a Dream, a Song to Sing| The American Dream


After reading the American classic, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I have a new sense of what may be the "American Dream."

In the novel, Fitzgerald used Gatsby's character to convey the one thing many people sought after in the 1920's - self made wealth and prosperity. The end of the Great War brought a new sense of happiness and optimism to the American society, as depression and death plagued the decade before. With that being said, materialism and consumerism rose at exponential rates while much of the society put an emphasis how much money was spent and flaunted. Thus, with this becoming a new social value, the American Dream developed in to something associated with wealth and rising in socioeconomic status.

I would describe the American Dream that Fitzgerald was embodying in Gatsby is that an individual's sense of self worth and their success in life is directly linked to their wealth and monetary value of their possessions. In the society Fitzgerald was reflecting wealth was clearly the type that was associated with money and abundance, especially as many indulgences were satisfied in result of wealth being prioritized during this time.

However, as time passed and society has changed and developed, the "American Dream" has gained a new definition. With immigration laws, and the United States being a place of refuge by those impacted by violence and war, the new "American Dream" encapsulates the feeling of safety and securing prosperity for future generations. I can attest to the development of this as I am an example of the achievement of this "American Dream."

Both of my parents immigrated to the United States when they were younger with their families in hope to seek a higher quality of life, and to secure their futures.

My mother's journey started when she was only a year old in 1975 during the trail end of the Vietnam war. Her family, hoping to escape the communists, made their way over to America seeking refuge and a place to restart their lives. The war disrupted their lives, and terror of the communists pushed them to look to the United States as the place to go to try to find peace and safety.

My father's journey was a little different. Growing up in the Philippines, his family saw an opportunity to leave and come to America, so they took it. Leaving the comfort of his homeland, moving to the United States only offered more opportunities for him and his family - so why not go? So when he was about 11 years old, his family packed up and moved here in hopes to make a better life for them.

While the "American Dream" then and now is quite considerably different, they both have to deal with money in order to secure social status (1920's) or financial security (modern). This goes to show how money will always play a role in the establishment of a dream, especially as society continues on to an emphasis on allowing money to being a defining factor of happiness and well being.

I am also very grateful and appreciative that both my parents were able to successfully achieve this "American Dream" and had the ability to allow me to live the life that I do.

**Dreams always remind me of ABBA and Mamma Mia**

Comments

  1. Mady,
    I loved reading your post! Your perspective of the American Dream has been greatly shaped by your parents' lives and I can definitely relate to that. Those personal connections made your blog even more interesting to read. Also, the historical context you provided showed your understanding of the American Dream in The Great Gatsby. I would have to agree with your link of money to the American Dream in the 1920s and today. Great job! Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so weird. Dreams always reminds me of Hannah Montana! (I just looked it up, I guess it was actually Hillary Duff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-s7ol38Ifs stupid memory). Anyway, great blog! I love how you talked about the immigrant American Dream and connected it to yourself! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well hello!
    I always love reading you your posts! I really loved reading about your personal experience with the American Dream and what it means to you. It is these stories that make this "dream" so valuable. I think how you included how the American Dream has shifted from what it once was is really informative and you drove me to think! Anywhooo I really loved your post! You did amazeballs

    ReplyDelete
  4. What up girl!!!!! Wow I enjoyed reading your post. It was definitely insightful and inspiring in regards to your discussion about your parents' history. I also appreciate your context about the American Dream before and after immigration laws, it was interesting to see how it evolved over the years. I also love that you connected everything back to monetary value and how it plays a big role in the American Dream. Great JoB!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mady! MADY! I knew you would have a fantastic blog post and I was not disappointed! You provided excellent background information to the 1920s and how Fitzgerald's work reflects the times. I loved your personal connection and unique view of the American Dream. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey boo boo! The context which you provided, pertaining to Fitzgerald' reflection of the time, in addition to your parent's history created such an awe inspiring post. You always manage to make such a personal (not in your feels) type post, always making your blog a joy to read!
    -bri taranto

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts